Kellington is a village which is roughly equidistant between Pontefract and Selby in North Yorkshire. The parish church is on rising ground in an open position south-west of the village. It has nave, N aisle, chancel and N chapel, W tower, and S porch. There is a very worn S doorway 'with a round arch but moulded capitals' (Pevsner 1967, 282). There is also a blocked round-headed window in the S wall of the nave.
Structural work due to the development of the Selby coalfield caused the demolition and rebuilding of the tower, and also allowed unusually-extensive archaeological excavations from October 1990 to January 1991 (Mytum 1995). Small finds were in the hands of the University of York Archaeological department; larger pieces are still (2014) at the church. These include the possible baseof the font, and two fragments of carved stone which may have been a lintel
Granted to Templars of Temple Hirst, late 12th century (VCH III, 259). The first known rector, John de Kellington, was appointed by the Knights Templar in 1185.
Lawton (1842), 140, says 'the town of Kellington belonged to the Lacies, Barons of Pontefract... Adam Fitz Swaine gave to the Knights Templar or Hospitallers, 8 oxgangs of land, and one Raimond gave another. This church, in which was a chantry, was appropriated to the preceptory of Newland, to which it was given by Henry de Lacy. At the dissolution of the Knights Templar, the patronage was given to Trinity College, Cambridge.'
|ht. of opening||2.64m|
|W. of opening||1.58m|
|h. of side with carving||0.17-0.18m|
|l. of fully-carved face||0.87m|
|l. of partially-carved face||0.71m|
|tooled length beyond the pattern||0.33m|
|w. of stone||0.26m|
L. A. S. Butler (ed.), The Yorkshire Church Notes of Sir Stephen Glynne (1825-1874) Yorkshire Archaeological Society Record series 159 (Woodbridge, 2007).
L. A. S. Butler, 'Recent archaeological work in the dioceses of Ripon and Wakefield 1991-2000', Yorkshire Archaeological Journal 78 (2006), pp. 85-110.
G. Lawton, Collectio rerum ecclesiasticarum de diocesi Eboracensi; or, collections relative to churches and chapels within the Diocese of York. To which are added collections relative to churches and chapels within the diocese of Ripon. New edition (London, 1842).
H. Mytum, 'Parish and People: excavations at Kellington church', Medieval Life, 1 Dec 1995, pp. 19-22.
N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire, West Riding (London, 1959), revised edn. (1967).