The former village of Vange has now been engulfed by the expansion of Basildon; its former High street (now the B1464) is marked by the Barge Inn at the east end and the church at the west, but there is little between them to indicate the presence of a village. All Saints church was declared redundant in 1996 and vested in the Churches Conservation Trust in 2003. It is a 2-cell church with a nave and a square chancel divided by a completely plain segmental chancel arch. The interior is generally whitewashed, but some brick repairs are visible and there are tiles set in the arch. At the SE angle of the nave is a rood stair. There is a wooden W gallery and under it stands a 12thc Purbeck font - the only Romanesque sculpture to be seen here. The nave is 12thc (see the chancel arch and a plain blocked lancet in the S wall. The chancel was extended in the 15thc, and its E wall rebuilt in the 18thc. The church was restored by Thomas Sneezum in 1836-37, and he added th W gallery. There was a reseating in 1896 by John Young, and the church was restored for the CCT by Alan Greening in 2002-05.
A manor in Vange was held in 1086 by Ralph FitzTurold from the Bishop of Bayeux. It had been held by 2 free men in 1066, and was assessed at 5½ hides. A second manor of 1 hide was held by Serlo from Ranulf Peverel in 1086. According to Wright (1831) the two manors were united at an early period and its ownership passed successively, with that of Hassingbroke in Stamford-Hope, to the families of Montchensy, Vere, de Valence, Rede and Wettenhale between 1280 and 1577.
|Internal diameter of bowl||0.48m|
|Width at top (E-W)||0.65m|
|Width at top (N-S)||0.65m|
|Height of bowl||0.255m|
|Height of bowl with shafts and base||0.65m|
J. Bettley and N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England. Essex, New Haven and London 2007, 123-24.
Historic England listed building 112367
RCHME, An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex, Volume 4, South east. (1923), 162-63.
T. Wright, The History and Topography of the County of Essex, II, 1831, 573.