Darrington is a small village, 3 miles SE of Pontefract, now divided by the main A1 road. The large church stands prominently on its hill. Built of magnesian limestone and local red sandstone, it consists of a nave, chancel, W tower, S aisle, N aisle and a chapel. It was restored in 1880, but lower parts of the tower may be Norman (Pevsner 1967,175), and the tower arch retains some relevant work.
In 1086 the manor was held by Ilbert de Lacy, and a priest, a church and a mill are mentioned in the Domesday Book (VCH II, 247). The appropriation of "St Luke" by Pontefract Priory was confirmed in 1286 (Borthwick: Reg. Romayne).
|h. (within recess)||2.17 m|
|w. of opening||0.86 m|
|imposts above paving||approx. 4.25 m|
|w. of opening to nave||1.84 m|
|max. h.||0.44 m|
|max. w. at bottom||0.27 m|
|max. w. at top||0.33 m|
R. Holmes, “The boundary crosses of Pontefract”. Yorkshire Archaeological Journal, 13 (1895), 559-61.
N. Pevsner, Yorkshire: West Riding. The Buildings of England, Harmondsworth, 1959; 2nd. ed. revised by E. Radcliffe. 1967.
P. F. Ryder, Medieval Churches of West Yorkshire.West Yorkshire Archaeology Service, Wakefield, 1993.