This is a small church of cruciform plan. The nave, N aisle and probably chancel are of Transitional style, from c. 1190. The transepts were added c. 1260. Romanesque features are the late 12thc S doorway, an arch in the N wall of the chancel, the N arcade of four bays, the tube font, and the capital reused as a piscina.
Kelmscott belongs to the Shill Valley and Broadshire benefice. The settlement of Kelmscott belonged to the estate of Broadwell and is not mentioned in a separate entry in the Domesday Book. A chapel, dependent on Broadwell parish church, was established at Kelmscott sometime between the late 11thc and 1200 (VCH, 140). The chapel existed until 1430, by then dedicated to St George.
|Height of doorway||1.97m|
|Width of doorway||0.90m|
The impost is damaged. The bell shows upright leaves with tops divided and curling inwards from lightly carved central vein. This and other veins are painted red, with traces of red paint between the leaves. Leaves are of equal size and spacing.
Broad leaves have a central vein and inward-turned tops, as E respond, with those on each angle projecting further like volutes. Each is interspersed with horizontally projecting pointed leaves.
This capital has trilobed indented leaves, three per octagonal side, blowing towards the left, on broad indented stems.
This shows trumpet scallops flaring out into raised horseshoe shapes, three to each side of the octagon.
Trumpet scallops, as on pier 3, but linked at their tops by trilobed leaves.
|External diameter of bowl||0.73 m|
|Height of font||0.49 m|
|Internal diameter of bowl||0.54 m|
|Total height of font||1.02 m|
J. Sherwood and N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire. Harmondsworth 1974, 665-6.
Victoria County History: Oxfordshire, XVII, 111-145.