Church of Ireland graveyard, with a 12thc. carved stone in the grounds.
In the early 1960s the stone was moved from a ditch about half a mile from Tomregan and erected outside the Church of Ireland church at Ballyconnell. Although there is no definite proof of its provenance, the stone is reputed to have come from the parish of Tomregan where there are still traces of a church and round tower. During the 7thc. the Abbot of Tomregan was St Briccine, a famous surgeon.
J. Andersen, The Witch on the Wall, London and Copenhagen, 1977, 152.
A. Weir, 'Three carved figures in Co. Louth', County Louth Archaeological and Historical Society Journal, 19:1 (1977), 71.
H. Hickey, Images of Stone; Figure Sculpture of the Lough Erne Basin, Belfast, 1976, 62.
K. M. Dickie, 'Stone Figure from Tomregan, Co. Cavan' , Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland, 93 (1963), 198–9.
S. McNab, 'Twelfth Century Figure Sculpture in Ireland', PhD thesis, University of Dublin, 1987, 294–6.
O.Davis, "Some Churches in Co. Cavan", Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland, 78 (1948), 117.
S.McNab, 'From Tomregan to Inishcealtra: Irish Twelfth Century Stone Sculpture', Irish Arts Review, 13 (1997), 32-34.