The church has a 13thc chancel with some alarming post-medieval buttresses stopping it falling out into the road, and an aisled nave roofed in a single span. The wooden bellcote and shingled spirelet is over the E end of the nave, likely a nod to the crossing tower at the mother church of the island, South Hayling. The S arcade appears to be Early English of the 13thc, but the capitals of the N arcade are the latest Romanesque of the late 12thc.
The Domesday Book considers the villages of North and South Hayling under the same entry, and the church is not mentioned in the 1291 Taxatio. In 1304 there were several petitions to the Bishop of Winchester that the rector of South Hayling celebrate in the "chapel of St Peter, Northwood", showing that it was a dependent chapel.
|Depth of bowl||25 cm (approx.)|
|Diameter of bowl||72 cm|
|Height of bowl||52 cm|
|Height (total)||71 cm|
N. Pevsner and D. Lloyd, The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, Harmondsworth 1967, 283-284.
W. Page ed., A History of the County of Hampshire: Vol. 3, Victoria County History, London 1908, 129-134.