Daylesford lies just inside the county boundary, south of the A436 towards Stow-on-the-Wold. It was part of Worcestershire until 1931, when it was redesignated as a Gloucestershire settlement. The church stands at the edge of the village as part of the Daylesford estate. It has a chancel, transepts, a nave and a small vestry, all in the Gothic Revival style. In the vestry, backing on to the N wall of the chancel, is a Romanesque arch; Romanesque work also survives in the nave S door.
In 718 King Aethelbald of Mercia granted six hides at Daylesford to establish a monastery. By 820 a church here was under the patronage of the bishops of Worcester, and the hundred of Daylesford annexed to Worcestershire (becoming part of Gloucestershire in 1931). Daylesford was assessed at three hides for Domesday book. From the 12thc the estate was held by the Hastings family, who sold it in 1715, to be bought back by Warren Hastings in 1793. He rebuilt the 12thc church apparently on the same lines as its two-cell predecessor, but that building was pulled down to make way for the present church. This was rebuilt 1859-63 by J. L. Pearson, for the owner of the estate, Harman Grisewood, who also replaced the estate houses in the village.
Plain, square, chamfered jambs, no impost.
The arch has a wide keeled roll, followed by a keeled hollow moulding, with a deep quirk between the mouldings. The mouldings stop a few inches above the impost, so the bottom of the arch has a square profile.
The capitals are carved from a wide block flush with the wall, so the impost, with a groove and hollow moulding, continues outwards. Both capitals have a round neck and waterlefaf foliage with volutes (all with avarying degree of damage). The shafts are monolithic, en delit, with a keel. The bases have ovolo moulding, round above square. They stand on square chamfered plinths.
P. Bucknell and J. Chatwin, St Peter’s Daylesford. Short History and Guide, 2012.
Victoria County History: Worcestershire, III, London 1913.
D. Verey, The Buildings of England: Gloucester, I: The Cotswolds, Harmondsworth 1970, repr. 1974, 207-9.