Kenchester is a village in central Herefordshire, some 5 miles WNW of Hereford. The village is clustered along a minor road to the N of the A438 Hereford to Brecon road, and at its S end is the site of the Roman town of Magnis, with the church alongside. St Michael’s is a simple, 2 cell building of roughly-coursed sandstone rubble, sited alongside outbuildings of Court Farm. There is a 15thc S porch, but the 12thc origins of the church are revealed by the plain lancets in the chancel and the S nave doorway, described here. There is also a font that might well be a 12thc remodelling of a Roman column from Magnis. The church was restored by Nicholson and Hartree, 1901-02 and 1909.
A manor of 2 hides was held by the canons of St Peter’s, Hereford, in 1066 and 1086. A further holding of 2 hides was held by Thorkil in 1066 and Hugo l’Aisne in 1086.
|Height of opening||2.20m|
|Width of opening||1.15m|
|Height of base||0.19m|
|Height of bowl||0.54m|
|Height of font||1.03m|
|Height of stem||0.30m|
|Depth of basin||0.13m|
|External diameter of bowl at rim||0.46m|
|Internal diameter of bowl at rim||0.28m|
A. Brooks and N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire. New Haven and London 2012, 187
Herefordshire Sites and Monuments Record 7230.
Historic England Listed Building 154240
N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire. Harmondsworth 1963, 107-08.
RCHME, An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Herefordshire, 2: East, 1932, 93-96.