Image of the feature "Windows: S choir aisle wall, bay 1." at Chester.
by Ron Baxter.
The exterior of the window was rebuilt in the 19thc. as a single-order, continuous window with a chamfer. The interior is partly blocked by the tomb of Diana Warburton (d.1693) by Edward Pearce. The window is round-headed with two orders; the first is continuous with an angle roll. The second on detached nook-shafts with carved capitals and imposts and an angle roll and face hollow in the arch. The east capital is a double scallop with recessed shields, each with a single raised pellet, triangular wedges between the cones, and a cable necking. The impost is hollow chamfered with a tall face. At the bottom of this are parallel grooves defining three low horizontal rolls, and at the top a row of chip-carved saltires in squares. The west capital is also a double scallop. The shields are depressed, with a deep groove outlining their lower edges. There are triangular wedges between the cones. The necking is worn and may originally have been decorated. The impost is hollow chamfered as before, with the low rolls in the lower part of the face but no sign of chip-carving above. Its angle is broken off.