Image of the feature "Chancel arch/Apse arches: N apse chapel arch" at Chester.
by Ron Baxter.
Pointed and of two chamfered orders to E and W. This must belong to a remodelling sometime after c.1250. Only the embrasures are 12thc., and the north offers the best evidence for the original design. It has a single order on an attached half-column, supporting a completely eroded cushion capital. The necking is lost, and the impost is hollow chamfered with a regular design of loosely looping cable surviving. The south embrasure is completely worn away. The form of the half-column respond can be discerned, and the blocks which were the capital and impost identified, but all sense of their form is lost. On the wall face to the S of the S embrasure are the remains of an inserted nook-shaft and capital, but the form of the capital is lost and a date cannot be guessed at. Inside the chapel the late-medieval remodelling begins at a respond immediately alongside the N embrasure capital.